***I'm determined to catch up on cataloging our family's events this year. Be ready for outdated posts galore!

2/02/2010

Yummy In My Tummy


i'm loving these lately.
basically little pieces of fruit leather - or fruit snacks for grown ups. 
i picked them up at our local costco.

but my mom's costco carries this version.
fruit and veggie servings included. 
mmm, mmm, good.


speaking of food, i am participating in a Cook-Blog-Share event during the month of february that a friend is putting on. we post our recipes on tues and on wed go to her blog to collect recipes from everyone else. fun, huh? i can always use new ones. so here is my input this week:

Taco Soup
from LeeAnn Freeman

8 oz cooked, shredded chicken (i double this to make it nice and hearty
3 cans chicken broth
1 can corn
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can hominy (opt, but i think it adds color and texture)
1 c. diced onions
1 large or 2 small cans chopped green chilies
1 quart (lg can) diced tomatoes with juice
1 pkg taco mix

Heat everything together in a large pot. May add or decrease chicken broth for desired thickness. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, grated cheese, and tortilla chips. 

{My notes: I lightly saute the onions and then throw everything else in. Both canned and home cooked chicken work great. If I don't have one of the kinds of beans I just add an extra of something else.}

i love this recipe. it's fail proof, fast, easy, makes a TON of soup and freezes well. the one bummer is the crazy amount of sodium from all the canned food. i try to offset that with low sodium broth and home cooked chicken.  but a little salt never hurt anyone, right?

yum.

1 comment:

Kris said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE those bites as well! I like to think they are healthy! And that soup is my go to food... good work!