***I'm determined to catch up on cataloging our family's events this year. Be ready for outdated posts galore!

2/16/2010

Cook-Share-Blog: Bran Muffins

this  recipe is tried and true  - i am the 3rd generation of farnsworths baking these muffins.  they are sweet and filling but contain lots of fiber and are my favorite way to start out the day. they taste even better served warm with strawberry freezer jam.  the recipe makes a HUGE batch but it keeps for weeks in the fridge. sometimes i cook a whole batch and freeze the muffins when they are finished. and my girls eat them like they're cupcakes.  let me know what you think!

30-Day Bran Muffins

4 c bran flakes
2 c All Bran
1 qt buttermilk
2 c boiling water
1 c shortening, butter, or oil
2 1/2 c sugar
4 eggs
5 c flour
5 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Mix all together- batter should be lumpy.  Fill muffin tins 2/3 full and bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.  Batter can be kept in covered containers in refrigerator for 30 days.

Notes: I microwave water till its steaming hot.  Combine with bran and let sit for a few minutes. Then add everything else.  I have always used oil but I'm sure shortening or butter would work well also.  Any combination of flour works as well - I like to use whole wheat.  Cook closer to 15 minutes if a fresh batch, and increase baking time if batter is cold. But don't over cook - they should be moist and dense.  Enjoy!

No comments: