***I'm determined to catch up on cataloging our family's events this year. Be ready for outdated posts galore!

2/23/2010

Cook-Blog-Share: Chicken Enchiladas

we tend to eat mexican food about 3 times a week at our house - quesadillas, chicken tacos, tostadas, white chili or taco soup... the list goes on and on.  i love mexican food. it's easy, its fast, and its basic. so i made these enchiladas on sunday and dan told me they rank higher than roast and mashed potatoes in his book.  the sauce comes from my mother in-law and i believe a fellow teacher at her school told her which cheese to use.  i came up with a chicken mixture we love and there you have it - "the best enchiladas i've ever had", according to kamber! i don't have a written recipe so i will try and be as accurate as possible with amounts but alter it how your family would like it.

Chicken Enchiladas

2 cans (10oz) tomato soup
1 can el pato sauce
12-16 oz muenster cheese, shredded
1 can diced green chilis
2-3 cups shredded chicken
about a dozen corn tortillas (I use white corn)

Whisk together tomato soup and about 3/4 of the el pato sauce. Set aside. Combine chicken and green chilies. Set aside.  Preheat oven and use nonstick spray on a 9x13 pan. Dip a tortilla into sauce mixture, coating both sides. Then place desired amount of chicken mixture (1/4 cup or less?) into the center and sprinkle with cheese. Roll firmly and place edge side down in the pan (after spreading a few spoonfuls of sauce on the bottom). Repeat until chicken and cheese are gone or pan is full. Spread any remaining sauce evenly over the enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until bubbly and edges and browning.  Garnish with shredded lettuce and sour cream.

Notes: These are SO good.You can find the El Pato by the authentic Mexican ingredients (or whatever that isle is called in the grocery store).  It adds flavor to the tomato sauce and is quite spicy.  Experiment with the taste - 1/2 can is probably safe with kids but I always add 3/4.  I buy blocks of muenster cheese when they are on sale.  It might seem like an unusual combination but it's very good! Muenster is a mild cheese that is the perfect texture for enchiladas when melted.  I use chicken that I cook in the crock pot all day, shred, and freeze in bags - it's cheap and easy to use.  After defrosting what I need, I dump the chilies in and stir. Putting together the enchiladas makes a mess but it's worth it.

5 comments:

Jen said...

I always look forward to your recipe posts! I like getting ideas because I feel like we just eat the same 10 things over and over. I tried your Shoyu chicken on Sunday and it was a huge hit! We really loved it! It is going to be a regular at our house!

I like Mexican food a lot, but have had a hard time making enchiladas that we both like, so I am excited to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing, and keep them coming!

Kamber said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! They really are the best enchilada's I have ever eaten and I have been wanting to make them myself for a while now! now I can!

Missy said...

Marie,
I'm trying these tonight! Do you put in spices on the chicken when you cook it? Just wondering!

skinners said...

Missy-
I cook the chicken in the crock pot with just chicken broth and onions (i use dehydrated) because then i can use it in any of my recipes. Other than that it's just the green chilies and el pato sauce that give it flavor. i'm sure it would be even better with more spices. let me know if you try any!

Rita said...

I couldn't find el pato!!! so Im using your recipe but with enchilada sauce... I know it won't be as good. I'll check the other stores.