***I'm determined to catch up on cataloging our family's events this year. Be ready for outdated posts galore!

8/26/2009

Refiner's Fire

{rachel and her little cousin baby gabe}

i was in the kiabab forest, driving home from a fulfilling weekend in cedar city when i got a phone call that my cousin's little girl had passed away(ben allen's daughter). it was an unexpected, sudden tragedy that occurred august 22nd, the anniversary of my dad and brother's crash. she died the next day.

i am heartbroken for them. i can't know what it's like to lose a child but i do understand heartache, suffering and grief. they have a long road ahead.

but what i also understand is the peace and comfort that will start to take the place of the constant pain they feel now. i know they can have hope that they will see little rachel again and that they will have even more motivation to live worthily so they can be an eternal family.

my aunt said the following in an email this week, " I don't understand why but the Lord seems to be allowing some of his best and finest to return home sooner than we here are ready to let them go. We just have to keep turning our faith to our Heavenly Father and our Redeemer who made it all possible for us to be united with these sweet members of our family."

beautifully said.

ben and anya - we love you and have you in our prayers.

{this picture was taken near the end of june as we gathered before my grandpa ellsworth's surgery. it is a rare occasion to have these great-grandkids/second cousins together. it was a tender mercy that we were able to see their family and sweet little rachel so recently)

2 comments:

Keith and Nicci said...

I'm at a loss for what to say. I'm so sorry your family has to go through another heart wrenching trial so soon. We'll keep them in our prayers too.

ashley said...

I think it's so frustrating sometimes to not know what God is thinking...

to just rely on faith and know that everything is all part of His plan...

but what else can we do?

I am so sad for your family. What a hard loss. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child. They will be in my thoughts & prayers.