***I'm determined to catch up on cataloging our family's events this year. Be ready for outdated posts galore!

8/20/2009

My Dad

i kind of have a theme of 'LASTS' going on so i'm going to keep with it a little bit longer.

last year, on this day, i woke up pretty early to drive to vegas, catch a flight, and fly to missouri to visit dan for a few days. i was grabbing some breakfast to eat in the car when my dad walked in the house and handed me the keys to the car i was taking. i gave him a bug hug and said i love you and thank you and was on my way.

that was the last time i saw my dad.

what i didn't realize until after the crash, was that the last thing he did was serve me. that wednesday morning, on his day off, he woke up early and took the car and filled it with gas - for me. something so simple but it showed me how much he cared about me.

how grateful i am that my dad was up that morning and that i was able to give him a hug good bye as i left. my dad sure loved to serve.

and it turned into a tender mercy for me.


No comments: