***I'm determined to catch up on cataloging our family's events this year. Be ready for outdated posts galore!

10/21/2008

Two Months

it's getting harder.
people said it would.















i bought a pomegranate last week when i saw them at the grocery store. it's sitting in my fruit basket. i hate pomegranates. but it made me think of my dad. i remember countless times, when in AZ for christmas, my dad would crack one open and spit the little seeds at us. he loved them. i showed it to madison and explained why we bought it. maybe she will grow up liking them like her grandpa!

my mom mentioned today that porter was at a little meeting with her - when the man sitting next to her began to speak, porter woke up and looked around. he never hears men's voices!

hannah and kamber said porter smiled in his sleep a couple days ago and they said, "dallin must be telling him a joke right now." i wish we got the chance to see him hold his little baby boy, at least once.

i dropped dan off at the airport sunday and it reminded me of all the times my dad came down to visit. he would work a long day thursday, drive straight from work to vegas, fly to phoenix, spend a couple days with us and my grandparents (mostly madison) and then fly back. i was proud to be his 'shuttle service'. this would be about the time he would come visit - every couple of months.

i feel like my world is continuing to turn upside down. i don't think in the beginning i fully comprehended how this would affect me, in every aspect of my life, and for the rest of the time we are on this earth.

luckily we have been given our agency. i know that there can be happiness amidst tragedy, we just have to choose it. there are so many memories that make me sad and so many times i think of my dad and dallin and cry. but more often i think of them and smile - laugh at memories that come rushing back. my parents have a really steep driveway and my dad used to pull half way up, in our big, huge van and then shift into neutral and coast backwards down it. back and forth. back and forth. i hated it! but when chris wrote from japan and reminded us of that small memory, i laughed and i appreciated it.

i miss them so much and still can't believe this happened. i feel like i might still wake up from this nightmare. but at least we have the chance to choose happiness. we have the hope of the Gospel. i am grateful for that.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Marie, you are so amazing. I am full of tears reading this. I pray always for your family and know that choosing happiness will bring peace. It takes time.

Erin said...

Hi Marie,

Just wanted to let you know that your family continues to find a place in our prayers.

Thanks for your faith and diligence, it is inspiring.

We are getting excited for the announcement of the new baby!

Jimmy & Erin

Dave and Alisha said...

I couldn't help but cry when I read this post, my heart aches for you and your family. I watched Hannah run at state cross country and I couldn't help but think that her dad should be here to watch this, he would be so proud. I know he was watching from above. She ran great!

Kirsten said...

I had no idea it would get worse like you said.

Katie said...

Marie, I am so sorry. Sometimes our trials seem to happen and then be over with, but for you guys, I know you'll always have a hole where your dad and Dallin used to be. I'm sure sometimes you literally have to chose happiness in order to have it. I'm sorry your family has this to deal with. We still pray for you.

I was thinking the other day about Halloween, and I remembered one year in high school where Brooke, Dallin, and I volunteered to help out at the East Elementary Carnival...Dallin dressed up as static electricity...with a bunch of socks pinned all over him. Haha, he thought he was so clever!

Katie said...

Sorry, I know I just posted, but I thought I could share a scripture I read yesterday that touched me. It's Alma 6:11-12.

And one more memory. :) Another Halloween, Dallin and I went with Jared and some friends to a haunted house by Grandee's. Dallin was my date, and he and Jared were acting like macho guys, you know, protecting the poor females. I had a hard grip on Dallin's arm the whole time, and he was doing a good job at "protecting" me, until someone came out with a chainsaw. Dallin started running, so I started pulling on his arm trying to hold on, and he pushed me off!! I was too slow, so he left me with the chainsaw guy and ran out of the building!

ashley said...

Okay, so I was all teary-eyed reading this until I read Katie's comment and now I'm just laughing. I can totally picture Dallin shoving her down and taking off by himself. FUNNY!!!

Love you. We still need to chat someday.

Harold and Sheri Fam said...

Marie I know this is a surprise but in my limited experience with tragedy the most significant add on strength came from two sources, one the comfort of the spirit and two(some times more tangible)knowing how much I am loved by so many. I love you and your great family for all that you are and all the good that you do. Harold Haynie