***I'm determined to catch up on cataloging our family's events this year. Be ready for outdated posts galore!

3/21/2010

Weight{y} Matters

i've got some weight to lose.
i may or may not be 20 pounds heavier than 5 months ago.
and even then i had a bit to lose.
{"a bit" is quite an understatement}
it's like i've gained a bunch of pregnancy weight.
but there's no pregnancy.
i could say it was the miscarriage, or the holidays, or my genes.
{yeah right, have you seen my mom and sister?}
but let's be realistic, it comes down to self control.

i like food.
a lot.
i love healthy food - thats not a problem.
i just really like the other stuff too.
THAT is my problem.

i like to exercise.
it just doesn't happen very often.
and THAT is problem number two.

today marks the first day of something i'm really excited about.
*Biggest Loser: LeBaron Family Edition*
{technically round 2, but i was pregnant with grace during the first one}

it's pretty simple.
i'm going to eat better and exercise.
but, we'll weigh in every week
and the person with the highest % weight loss at the end of 12 weeks,
WINS!
{the money comes from everyone's entry fees - last time the pot was $300.}

i know being personally motivated to work hard and eat healthy would be the best way to go.
but this will be good for me too.
i know it.
this will jump start something i have needed to do for a long time.
i am competitive and this will push me.
the money at the end is just a bonus.
{i plan on putting it towards an elliptical or treadmill- should i win of course.}

all this stems from wanting to be a healthier version of me.
not a different me.
i find it ironic that at the highest un-pregnant weight i have ever been,
i still feel confidant and happy about who i am.
probably the most confidant and the most happy.
because i have two little girls that love me unconditionally and i feel confidant in my role as a mom.
and i have a husband that is supportive and makes me feel beautiful no matter what.
and because i finally have a solid understanding of my worth as a daughter of a loving Heavenly Father.

sure i wish my clothes fit differently.
sure i wish i weighed less.
who doesn't?

but i want the changes i make to be permanent lifestyle changes.
not concerned with pounds and sizes.
less junk, more active.
it's such a simple concept.
now to put it to work...

**feel free to share any tips/advice and wish me luck!!

6 comments:

Ben and Janelle said...

You sound just like me (except I am not in a contest to lose the weight). I have never been pregnant, but gained weight from 1. birth control, 2. not exercising like I used to, 3. Bad eating habits. #1 is not an issue any more, but with the lack of exercise and my love of food (also the healthy right along with the UNhealthy), the weight has stayed. I may go up and down about 10 lbs, but I haven't really been able to get rid of it. I would LOVE to. I do have to say that I am not quite as confident as you, despite having such a loving husband that tells me, and trys to make me feel, that I am beautiful and (dare I say it...), sexy. I get down on myself alot and don't like what I see in the mirror. I wish I could feel more confident (although some days I actually do). But, more than anything, I feel unhealthy and want to feel better. I wish you luck (now that I've gone on and on about myself)!! I hope I, too, can find some kind of motivation to lose what I've gained and feel healthier (and happier with the smaller size and better reflection in the mirror). :) Thanks for the inspiration!! ~Janelle

Ben and Janelle said...

Wow. That was long. Sorry!! And I really do wish you luck. Low-fat and non-fat dairy is good for losing weight. Also...staying active (as opposed to scheduled exercise) is supposed to help. Examples: cleaning the house, playing outside with the kids for 30-60 min. per day, etc. Both of these things helped me once in losing a little bit of weight. Just be careful not to gain it back by getting lazy and eating too much. ;)

Stephani said...

Good luck Marie!! Weight{y} issues is the story of my life...I gained weight after I got married -busy with school and work and therefore not eating healthy enought and not exercising enough...plus two pregnancies in this last year mean I am packing around a lot of extra weight. Confession: I love the Biggest Loser - it totally inspires me and I pledged weight for the Pound-for-Pound Challenge. I really want to be healthy for my family! I've started exercising regularly again and it is finally getting warm enough that we can be outside now- and I found a cookbook I love(we'll have to swap recipes!). Good luck to you - I know you can do it! One thing we have done that I think helps overall - is switching white bread for wheat, tortillas for wheat tortillas - using wheat pasta and brown rice. Its an easy switch and the added fiber to your diet is great - and then you are eating complex carbs instead of simple. Cheers to you!

Robin said...

I know you know my story of weight loss. I am glad I did it the right way, by changing my habits. I still love food and struggle with the eating most days, but I am more active and more aware of what goes in my mouth. don't be in a rush. if you want me to find someone doing a fundraiser I can probably get you a three month pass to fitness works. I am not sure when you move, so that might not work. Let me know. And good luck, I know you can do it!

Kate said...

go you!!

So I don't have any great advice or tips but I am working on this right now too! And I too am trying to make my lifestyle different, instead of just going on a temporary diet because I LOVE to eat too!

One big change we have worked into our budget is always having fresh fruit and veggies on hand... lots of pears, oranges, carrots, grapes, etc...

It's more expensive but if they're fun fruits that you like, like pears, yum!, then you'll be more willing to snack on them!

also I have been having a green smoothie every morning for breakfast and a salad for lunch, and i do at least a 20 min workout and a 20 min walk every day... so far I have missed a few days of things, but all in all i feel pretty good...

anyways, we should email back and forth about it so we can talk more and share ideas and secret helps!

love you!!

ashley said...

I'm right there with ya, girlie! Good luck to us both!!