***I'm determined to catch up on cataloging our family's events this year. Be ready for outdated posts galore!

3/14/2010

To Grandmother's House We Go

 gma's driveway - heading home

dan had tuesday off so we went on a walk to make the most of it. {i tend to think we need to milk this good weather for all it's worth since before we know it summer will be here and that means the miserable heat.}  my dad's parents live just about a mile away from us so we decided to head in that direction while on the look out for ducks to feed. the irrigation ditches were empty but eventually we found ducks in a front yard with standing water from our recent rain storm. too bad they were scared of nash {we stole him from my in-laws for the morning} and flew away before we got close enough.  on to grandma's house.

it had been several weeks since our last visit which is sad, for living so close. grandma is always surprised to see how much the girls have grown. partly due to the fact that she doesn't remember very well any more.

a conversation during our last visit, mid of february, went something like this:

me: grandpa, we'll be thinking of my dad tomorrow for his birthday and hope it goes well for you too. {while my grandma was out of earshot}
gpa: oh thats right... feb 16th. i forgot it was his birthday.
gma {now within earshot}: what? a birthday? who's birthday?
me: my dad's
gma: oh, how fun! what are you going to give him?
me: umm... i don't think i'm going to get him anything...
gma: well what kinds of things does he like?
me: umm..
gma: well, it seems to me you should get him something. how about a book? everyone can use a good book to read.
gpa: fern, i don't think he has much use for anything.
gma: sure he does!
me: grandma, did you know that ... {something random to change the subject asap...can't remember}

my grandma has dementia - it is a blessing and a curse. a blessing because when she remembers my dad died, she only cries for a minute or too until she forgets again. a curse because conversations like the one above are hard on all parties involved. it feels like there's a missing link - we don't talk about my dad.

but she knows me. my name, my face, my girls, and that i'm her granddaughter. that's enough for now. 

my grandparents are both 88 years old. i'm nervous to move across the country and have something happen to them while we're gone - they have already battled heart attacks, breast, prostate, and mouth/jaw bone cancer.  but they are fighters and have lived good long lives. the time we've shared over the past 3 years has been incredible and i am SO grateful to have gotten to know them better as individuals, not just grandparents.

anyway...we had a good visit and the dogs played together.  jenny {my gma's lab} is so overweight from being hand fed people food i'm surprised she can even run after the tennis ball. we loaded everything up and went on our way.  despite the fast madison screamed the entire way home {she wanted to be carried but we had our hands full}, it was a great outing and we walked in the door just minutes before the pouring rain hit.

{what started as a brief post to share a photo i really like, turned into a novel. there you have it.} 

3 comments:

Jacob said...

oh so fun. nothing like a good trip to gmas. i love your blog! thanks for your sweet comments. loves!

Jill said...

Love your blog! :)

Frame that pic, it's adorable.

Carey Hooton said...

Dear Grandma and Grandpa. They are so sweet. What would we do without them? I am glad you can get there and visit, I am always worried whenever I visit there that after I leave something bad will happen. I guess that's why you have to enjoy the moments while they last! They are still kicking though!! love your blog... and your little girls are getting so big!!