***I'm determined to catch up on cataloging our family's events this year. Be ready for outdated posts galore!

8/21/2008

MIZZOU

this may be a boring post, typing and no pictures, but at least skip down to the bottem, read my question, and give me your opinion! thanks!


i made it to missouri! after a long day of driving, flying, layovers, and more driving i made it to columbia and am reunited with dan! it's been a hard couple of weeks but i am so grateful for my parents for letting madison and i "move in" with them for several weeks and for babysitting madison so i could come out here and visit dan.

i haven't seen much yet with it being dark last night and cold and rainy this morning, but i think i would like it here! flying in and seeing all the green made me think i am ready to have an adventure and move far away and experience something new and exciting.

i am hoping to venture out today to explore the city while dan is at work but finding my way around, in the pouring rain, is a little bit intimidating. i would like to find a MIZZOU Tigers shirt to take back home - since i am growing out of all my current t-shirts!

question for all you bloggers that might see this in the next two days. on the way back to the airport saturday we will have time for a little bit of tourism and i can't decide between Independence, Liberty Jail, or Adam-on-di-amon? has anyone been to them and can give me some sort of recommendation?

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Actually, I'm FROM Missouri, so I had tons of Tigers T-Shirts growing up! :D It's fun to see one again!

As for the tourism question, I've only been to Liberty Jail and Independence, despite living in Missouri when I was young (in fact, it was just a couple years ago that I went!) I thought both were interesting but very different:

Liberty Jail is smaller and is actually inside. It's part of a small museum-like visitor's-center-like experience. It's cool and they do a dramatization there with still figures, but I was surprised at how small the whole thing was. You can see everything in about an hour.

Independence is interesting because there's just more to see. The church has a bigger visitor's center with lots of things to see (not as big as Salt Lake, but the same sorts of things). Then, once you're done there, you can go see the Church of Christ stuff (formerly RLDS). Touring their seashell temple is sort of weird (yet interesting??) but they also have a Joseph Smith museum witch is really cool. You can also see the future temple site! So I would say go to Independence if you want to see the most stuff in one place.

Adam-on-di-amon is kind of just like seeing a big field, I guess. I cool field, but I don't think there's all that much to see. But it IS a special field...and I've never been there, so maybe there's more there than I thought.

Hope that helps! :D

Rachel

Unknown said...

I agree with Rachel. I've been to all three and Adam-on-di-amon is just a field with and fenced in grass area with the cornerstones of where they were going to build the temple. Liberty is awesome, but really like she said not a lot to do, so I'd suggest Independence! And tour the (ice cream cone :)) RLDS temple

Colette Campbell said...

I agree with the other two. Adam-ondi-ahman is definitely not the one to go to if you can only go to one. But Liberty is just down the road from Independence (all in the Kansas City metropolitan area), so you could hit Liberty Jail and the temple site all in just a couple of hours and get a great two-in-one deal. Enjoy!

Jennie said...

All is said. Adam-ondi-amon does have a wonderful spirit, but I was I guess you could say disappointed with nothing to see, you just go there to feel...
Independence and Liberty both great as mentioned.

Lindsay said...

I've been there and seen all three and I agree with Rachel! Have a fun! :)