***I'm determined to catch up on cataloging our family's events this year. Be ready for outdated posts galore!

10/22/2009

My Nephew

Photobucket

this is a special little boy.

he brings a smile to everyone's face and i experience a happiness that i can't explain. for a long time it made me really sad to think about porter and how he's going through this life without his dad by his side. but it's been wonderfully theraputic to see him just about everyday. he's helping me heal in a way i hadn't expected. having regret is a hard thing and i have found that as much as i've tried to dispell it, it's remained very prevalent. but when i'm with porter, i feel like i'm making it up to dallin and that those things i regret- teasing and not being the sister i should have been and the sister i now wish i had been - are being appeased.

despite my probably typical but inappropriate teenage behavior, dallin and i did became close friends. he was one of my best friends. he called me one day, while kamber and i were both pregnant with porter and grace, concerned about how we were going to make sure our kids knew their cousins since it looked likely the four of us siblings would be spread out. i brushed him off, laughing and teasing him that he was jumping the gun. of course we would make sure our kids were close, is what i was thinking, but surely we didn't need to worry about it then. i am grateful for that conversation {tender mercy} and that now, what dallin wanted, is truly happening.




7 comments:

Miss B said...

loved this post. all the kiddos are getting so big and cute!

Hannah said...

i love how madison snuck in there and started laughing too. porter's laugh is the best.

Amy said...

LOVE this post and pictures! Porter is adorably handsome, just like his daddy! Your family is amazing :)

Kamber said...

Marie, Thank you so much for this post. To be honest, it brought me to tears...happy tears, because although Porter doesn't have his Dad, he still has his Dad's amazing family and so do I! We are so lucky to live near you guys! We love you!

LeeAnn Freeman said...

That was so touching. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and such adorable pictures!

Lara said...

oh, I love this post. It reminds me not to take anything/anyone for granted. Relationships are what really matter in this life. I'm sure you were a great sister.
I'm sure Dallin is close by and is smiling down on you and his boy.
Hugs.

ashley said...

I LOVE that last picture! So adorable!!!