***I'm determined to catch up on cataloging our family's events this year. Be ready for outdated posts galore!

9/22/2009

Legacy

{this is my 200th post. crazy. between that and the 22nd coming up (or long gone probably, by the time i finally post this), making it 13 months, i was trying to come up with something to write and this is what resulted. warning: long and possibly boring - but this blog is my place for all that stuff too.}

i took lots of pictures when i was in cedar last - my dad's office and spa and various places around town that are named after/dedicated to him and the 0thers in the plane. they were edited and uploaded, ready to post. i planned on writing about all the tributes and how my dad left such a lasting and wonderful legacy.

i changed my mind when recently i received an email from a dear friend which made me think about 'legacy' in a different way. the email included a large attachment - a preview for a book of tributes about dallin, from his friends, for porter. it begins with this:

"This book is filled with memories, tributes, and pictures of Dallin that were sent by his friends. Porter Dallin, since you were not able to know your father during his time here on earth, we hope that you can see glimpses of the amazing man that your father Dallin was through reading our memories of him. We know that Dallin loves you and that Dallin is watching over you from above. You are the most wonderful legacy that Dallin left on this earth, and we hope that you will always be able to feel our love for you . The hymn “Each Life that Touches Ours for Good” describes how Dallin blessed our lives with his friendship and love. The words read:

Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy, Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.

What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christlike friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.

When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.

For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior’s name,
Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise thy goodness, Lord, above."

i love that song; it was the opening hymn at the funeral. the attached file is 42 pages long and has been quite a tear jerker. it's also been the reason for many laughs, and in addition, a wonderful insight to just how influential my brother was in so many people's lives.

here are a few excerpts:

"Just being around Dallin made me want to be a better person."

"I have worked with and been acquainted with over 500 missionaries and it is fair to say that there was never a better missionary in the mission field, in our mission." (from his mission president)

"It would take most people 2 lifetimes to do what he did in his 23 years here."

"One of his companions said of him, "I have always said that there never was anyone as pure as him… he was an example for me of the pure love of Christ. Each day he taught me to love the Savior more."

this is the kind of legacy my brother left. this is how he and my dad lived their lives every day.

i will probably post the pictures of buildings and memorials with my dad's name one day; he left an imprint on the community that i don't think will ever be erased. but for today, after reading the stories, memories, and testimonies that were touched by my brother, i want to remember the importance of a different kind of legacy - of a quiet witness and humble servant, never judging and always finding the good in others, much like our Savior.

in the past year i've spent a lot of time reflecting on my life - my joys and successes, my mistakes and regrets, my goals and achievements (or lack of)... i've wondered what my funeral would be like, what would people say and remember about me if i died tomorrow? would i be happy with my accomplishments and my choices? would i be prepared to meet the Savior?

thankfully, i don't think tomorrow will be my last day - so i have the opportunity to do better and be better. i hope to build a legacy of my own; one that i can look back on with satisfaction. i've made clear and specific goals to help me stay focused and accomplish what is most important. i want to remain centered on my family and the gospel and i have two great examples of how to do it. if i can leave this life with a fraction of the legacy my dad and brother did, it will be more than enough for me.


{it's been a roller coaster ride thus far,
but here's to 200 posts and
200 more to come!}






1 comment:

Amy said...

ah, marie...i need to remember to keep a box of kleenex by me when i read your blog. thank you, once again, for the beautiful spirit you share, your testimony and loving thoughts of your amazing dad and brother. your memories stir up my own that i have with your family, parents and siblings. you are such a choice family. it's no wonder our Father in Heaven needed your dad and brother so soon. thank you for carrying on their legacy. that of faith, love, endurance, example, peace and testimony. I love you and your family!!!!!