***I'm determined to catch up on cataloging our family's events this year. Be ready for outdated posts galore!

3/27/2009

I Left My Heart...

... in San Francisco High on a hill, it calls to me
To be where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars

The morning fog may chill the air, I don't care

~Tony Bennett



this post is lengthy. very. lengthy. so for the faint at heart, take a look at the picture above and know that we went to san fran and below to see that we had a blast. can't you tell by hannah's face? hair flying and tears streaming down her face from the wind, as she sat on the top of the double decker bus, crossing the Golden Gate Bridge... and i'm not telling you how long ago we went, because then you won't know how behind i am.


{this picture cracks me up - thank you kamber for capturing it}

*side note: the reason for going, you might ask? my dad was being awarded with a Presidential Citation from the AAD- American Academy of Dermatology- during an awards luncheon at their national conference, for his dedication to provide cancer screenings for rural communities. we (hannah, kamber and i) went to be with my mom as she received the award in his honor. and to make a fun trip out of it. with the two little nursing babies. who were troopers. needless to say, it was bitter sweet, as many things are these days. parts of the weekend were very hard for my mom- being back at this conference for the last time, where she had come with my dad. but she took everything in stride and put on a brave front for us. and we really did have a blast. again, refer to hannah's picture above. :)

apparently if you are still reading this, you want a more detailed version with pictures galore. that, i can do.


my stud-muffin of a nephew, porter


cramming four people, two car seats and all our gear into a minivan.
my first time ever in a taxi!!
and boy was the driver ornery.


hannah looking stylish at our favorite store of the trip - anthropologie. we could have stayed in there all weekend.


trying to be like hannah but not quite pulling it off


my mom found this sweater for hannah to wear on Easter Sunday. hannah almost bought it. ; )


eating dinner at the best food court ever, if you can even call it that. i was honestly stressed out trying to decide where to eat- so many places and all so good! we ate there a couple times. the actual mall- Westfield, was incredible. plus there was more shopping for blocks on each side of it.


porter and grace did great, as did their moms.
we nursed all over san fransisco.
thank you mom and hannah for being so patient!


Union Square
funny story: i wanted to get a picture of the four of us and started looking for someone to ask when kamber said, "wait, you're going to hand someone your camera? aren't you afraid they will run off with it?" thankfully, we got the camera back and have this picture to show for it. :)

i love you kamber!!!


i fell in love with this city.
it was amazing.
i want to go back.
who's with me?


loved this. a homeless man walking his dog, cat, and rat. i took like five pictures of them.


my favorite part of the trip was when my sweet mom pulled tickets out of her purse and said, "wait, what are these?" she surprised me (hannah and kamber were in on it) and got the 3 girls tickets to see Wicked. she stayed back at the hotel and watched grace and porter for us - i felt TERRIBLE leaving her there! but we had soooo much fun!


hannah is quite an experienced traveler and navigated us through BART - the subway in san fran. she's getting so old! (i took my hug ol' diaper bag to sneak in snacks. am i cheap or what!)


Wicked was incredible. i loved it! kamber and i saw it for the first time, it was hannah's second. she saw it on broadway, in new york city, on christmas eve. cool, huh!


hannah and Fiyero!!! what a cute couple, is there a chance he could be LDS?
oh well, hannah and david archuleta make acuter couple anyway.

we decided to brave the san fran city streets and walk home instead of taking BART. scary. but we made it, thanks to a middle aged couple who let us tag along beside them for safety.


Pier 39


i always think Azkaban not Alcatraz...


we took a cable car to the fisherman's wharf and had some amazing sourdough bread and my mom and hannah had fresh crab and clam chowder. my favorite was a hot fudge sunday from Ghirardelli Square. yummm!!!


little pastry shop in the north shore, the italian district. it took forever to decide what to try.


we tried out gelato too.


it was such a fun trip!
we fit a lot into 48 hours, especially with the 'twins' and their strollers.
i was exhausted by the time i got home but what a fun weekend.

thank you mom for making it possible.

7 comments:

Natchel said...

Oh Marie I'm so jealous! I haven't been home in a while and all those pictures make me homesick! You guys look like you had so much fun!!

Katie said...

That looks like a lot of fun! That last picture is pretty funny...poor Grace looks like she's getting squished or something uncomfortable like that.
Grace and Porter really do look like twins!

Jen Hilton said...

I am totally with you on loving San Fransisco. I never can get enough or have enough time to do it all. I miss it.

Lindsay said...

Wow Marie!! You are such a well-traveled woman!! How sweet of your mom to bring you girls along! I bet she loved having you guys there with her. Such fun girly time! I loved how you "nursed all over San Francisco!" LOL!

My parents and the four kids still living at home just took a trip to California for Spring Break and stopped in San Francisco and loved it too! We never got the chance to travel while we were living in California and I totally regret it now. There is SO much we didn't get to experience!!

Isn't Wicked AMAZING???!? Matt and I saw it in LA 2 years ago and I'm obsessed. We listen to the soundtrack all the time and my kids know most of the songs. Is that sad?? Wicked is coming to Gammage in July and I'll be going to see it again!

Sorry for the world's longest comment!! ;)

Hannah said...

actually i took that picture hahaha thanks though :)

Jordan said...

How fun! I love how adventurous you girls are!

Kate said...

I love this whole trip, looks like you had a blast!