***I'm determined to catch up on cataloging our family's events this year. Be ready for outdated posts galore!

12/08/2008

Best Birthday Present

so much for my blogging break but this was too special not to share. kamber's birthday was fri, dec 5th (she turned 22) and we had an adventurous night at Texas Roadhouse (her favorite!) and Costco in st george. we returned to cedar late and found this letter awaiting us:

Dear Mrs. Kamber Ellsworth and Mrs. LynAnn Ellsworth:

It is with great sadness that we received news of the passing of John Dallin Ellsworth. I had the opportunity to review [Dallin's] application to medical school and I was extremely impressed, not only with his significant academic successes, but with the compassion, concern, and service he consistently gave to his fellow man. It is clear that his calling was medicine, and we would have been proud to call him physician. After a review of these exceptional attributes he displayed, it is clear that he was an outstanding candidate for admission to our medical school. It would be an honor for us if, on his behalf, you would accept a posthumous admission to the University of Michigan Medical School Class of 2013. We wish for, in this time, both strength and peace for a life well and passionately lived.

Respectfully, and in deepest sympathy,

Steven E. Gay, MD, MS
Assistant Dean for Admissions
University of Michigan Medical School

the University of Michigan is a top ranked medical school (number 5 i think?) and was one of Dallin's first choices. he worked so hard to prepare himself and it means the world to us to see that his dedication paid off. i am sure he is so proud (in a sort of humble, Dallin-type of way).

it's a tender mercy to witness one of his dreams come true.

i would like to say a big thank you to Dane Leavitt for all he did to make this possible. thank you, thank you, thank you!

13 comments:

Erin said...

That is so awesome Marie, thanks for sharing. You may have to have already passed through preparing for the MCAT, applying to medical school, interviewing and waiting to really appreciate what this means.

We are so proud of Dallin and Kamber as well.

I absolutely loved hearing his personal statement at the funeral, it was so clever and Jimmy and I have discussed it many times since.

I hope you guys have a wonderful holiday and send our love and congratulations to Kamber.

Anonymous said...

Well Marie I think it looks a lot better in this font than in "webdings" :)

ashley said...

Very cool! Dallin always was a "brain"! What a neat way to end the night.

Jenny Wilson said...

That is so neat Marie!!! Are you coming to S. George anytime soon? The only thing I worry about is the weather... it is even cold down here, and I don't know how well that would work with you baby! ANyways, let me know. My email is on my blog!

Jen Hilton said...

What a kind and gracious effort to think of a total stranger and give such an honor.

Parker and Christine said...

That is a great letter confirming Dallin's accomplishments. I have no doubt that Dallin would have made it into many other schools as well. He was so smart, kind and definitely a hard worker. Will you be in Cedar for the next two weeks? Hopefully, we can get together. I would love to meet Grace - her pictures are adorable and my parents said she was a cutie. Give your family our love.

Jordan said...

This is so wonderful. I can't think of anyone who was more prepared to care for the well being of others.

Emmy G said...

Thank you for posting that letter. I was so glad to find out about it from the Leavitt's. They are a great family who work hard to help others find the joy that they have found in the gospel of our savior Jesus Christ. Lansing and Dallin both strived to do the same in their lives. This letter is a testiment to Dallin's hard work and dedication in preparing to be not only a wonderful doctor, but husband and father as well. Best wishes to all of the Ellsworth family and the many friends who's lives were also touched by Lansing and Dallin. We will always miss them.

Natchel said...

Thats great Marie! When do you guys get home?

Katie said...

Wow. What a special honor for your family. Dallin earned their acceptance, I'm sure of it. That's wonderful that they had the kindness and insight to recognize his achievements and honor him for them.
Will you guys be in Cedar City at all? Brooke and I were thinking of stopping by, but it sounds like we might miss you guys. I'm sure you don't want to be bombarded, so maybe it's for the best...:) However, if you're available and up for it, we'd love to come and reminisce about Dallin.

Tiffany said...

I was friends with Dallin and Kamber at BYU....sorry you don't know me. But what an honor for you and your family to get this letter. Dallin was one of the kindest people I've ever met, and he taught me a lot about serving others in church callings. I still think of him and still miss him. Please pass my congrats to Kamber on her beautiful little boy!
Tiffany LeeMaster Jones

Kirsten said...

wow that is really kind of the school to do that. how awesome.

Katie said...

wow. wow. that's the only word i can think of to describe that. what a great tribute to your brother.