***I'm determined to catch up on cataloging our family's events this year. Be ready for outdated posts galore!

5/15/2008

Hum your favorite hymn

i have had a stressful morning and it's not even 9 am!- madison woke up early and has been a grump, dan is home but unavailable because he's studying for a huge test on friday, and i have a list of things to do today that is a mile long because i am going out of town for two weeks. i was feeling overwhelmed and being a grouch myself - taking it out on poor dan and madison. we sat down for breakfast and i started some music and this cd was still in from sunday. i was going to change it but was too hungry to do it right then. within moments i could feel a change. i relaxed, felt calm and peaceful, and the Spirit was able to return to our home.

i have always known the importance of good music but i had forgotten really what a difference it can make. it changed the atmosphere in our home, and the feeling in each of us, so quickly. this cd is one of my favorites. it's from Deseret Book and it is hymn arrangements for solo piano and Paul Cardall is amazing! i love listening to music and enjoy a wide variety but when madison was born, the type of music we played at home, changed. i still have all my punk cds from high school that will forever hold a place in my heart, but they would sound so weird now at home or in our car. thankfully i think i am growing a little bit wiser as i grow older.

4 comments:

Kate said...

I love this post, Marie. I have been thinking about hymns a lot in our home as well. For awhile there, because we have 2pm church, I would feel very lazy and sluggish on Sundays, but a few weeks ago I pulled out some guitar hymns music and it changed everything. Even though we had nothing to do or anywhere to go, I was no longer lying around being bored, but really thinking about the gospel and feeling the spirit, it truly is amazing how much of an effect music has on our minds, thanks for the reminder that church music isn't JUST for sundays! it can be for anytime we need that peace.
love ya! see you tomorrow night!!

Lara said...

This is sooo true. I have a primary song cd in my car and pop it in when the kids are going at it in the car. there is a total power in music. great post.

Casey and Tamra said...

Marie- I haven't looked at your bolg in ages...cute, cute, cute. Congrats on the baby. That is super exciting. I finally started a blog. caseyandtamra.blogspot.com I'll have to give you a call one of these days. Talk to you soon.

Unknown said...

Hey Marie,
I went to call you today and my phone no longer has your number and I forgot to store it!:( So...could you give me a call so I can mail this CD to you tomorrow morning! Thanks! SORRY it took longer than expected and sorry I lost your phone!
Jaelyn
435-590-5470