***I'm determined to catch up on cataloging our family's events this year. Be ready for outdated posts galore!

5/16/2011

Our House Decorated: The Girl's Room

{original picture from previous owners}

the end of next month marks one year spent in columbia for our family.  wow, it has flown by!  i figure i'd better post pictures of our house all moved in and redecorated before baby boy skinner joins us in a couple weeks.  this is what the girls' bedroom looked like back in feb 2010 when the house was first listed and i flew out to look at it.  super cute but a little too dark and bold for me, plus nothing we owned went with red.


{last november}

thank goodness for killz because that room needed some serious primer.  


{my "helpers"}
i painted once the girls went to bed and late into the night.  between two little busy bodies, wet paint, and original hardwood floors, i wasn't willing to take any chances.  the girls were excited to see the new color when they woke up.


{all painted with the beds and dresser moved back in}
 next on my list was figuring out how to finish the room with things on the wall and empty space in the corner. 
i finally finished everything in march. 

here are the results .......................


{in between the closet (left) and bedroom door (right)}

the girls' art wall.
the pictures are hanging haphazardly right now but the beautiful thing about it is the door on the right is usually open and hides a lot of the wall so it doesn't matter.  i hung eye hooks on each side and crossed fishing line back and forth between them.  the girls hang pictures they paint/color or bring home from nursery/primary/preschool with clothespins.  at some point i'll get some glitter and pom poms so they can fancy them up.  i really wanted to have a space for them to display their creativity besides the fridge and i think this was the perfect solution.


{pic taken from madison's bed}

i love this corner of the room.  i found the rug on sale at target and it gave me a starting point and color scheme.  the bookcase was a thank you present from dan's sister stephanie, the lamp came from a model home sale in az last summer, and the picture is of madison on the beach in rocky point, mexico, painted by my grandma farnsworth.



here's a closeup.
the snap shot she painted from is attached on the back - it's from our last trip with my family before chris's mission and the crash. 
it's priceless and i love it.


{the view from the corner by the bookcase}

{standing in the doorway}
for journaling purposes and to remind myself in the future i can do something like this again: the ikea dresser was found in the "as is" section, the shelves and plant are from marshall's, the letters above the beds are from stephanie, i mod podged them and the temple blocks, added ribbon and gave them to the girls for christmas, i had extra frames on hand, printed enlargements at sam's club, found the accesories at hobby lobby for 50% off with lindsay's help, the print of Christ was free from the lds distribution center, the piggy banks were birthday presents, and both bedding sets were on clearance from jc pennys and target (they don't match but do coordinate). 


{standing in front of the window}
i found madison's head board and box spring on craigslist for $20 and the guy threw in two free shelves (they are hanging in the hallway and nursery).  the headboard needed some love so i primed it and spray painted it.



this project really taught me to be patient.  i searched and searched for just the right things, pulled from what i had, and emailed family a million times for opinions and advice.  i really wanted a space that was bright, happy, and functional (and not all pink!). a space geared towards the girls that would reflect them and what we hold dear.  a place they would enjoy living, playing, and sleeping.  while its not perfect, i think it came together nicely and i'm glad its done!
 

{self portrait by madison}
i think they've given it their stamp of approval too.

11 comments:

Dave and Alisha said...

Super cute! I'm impressed.

Jen Hilton said...

I love it! Very cute! They definitely need to learn the song "Sisters" from the old time "Holiday Inn" movie. I can see it already.... =)

Cherise Oleson said...

I love it, Marie! You did a great job!

sarah said...

That room looks like it came straight out of a home decor magazine. It's so darling. I love the colors you chose. You've given me the motivation to stay patient as I am trying to pull our house together. It's hard work!

Andrea said...

Check out your decorating skillz - So cute. It looks great!!

JJ and Kimberly Taylor said...

So cute!!!! I think it turned out perfect.

Sarah said...

it's darling, marie! i am sure they love being in that room!

Judy said...

Way Cute!! I love the art wall idea! I wish I could decorate like that. Great Job!

the mrs. said...

oh my, ADORABLE!
i'm lovin the whole room!

JB said...

I love it! So cute and it gave me tons of good ideas I can use in the future. :)
~Janelle

Kate said...

I love love LOVE the result Marie!! So adorable, and I love the art wall especially!
Love ya!